Friday, August 20, 2010

mans origins

Jerry Randal Bauer wrote:
> I've just read "Genesis Revisited" by Glenn G. Strickland. (1979)
> (ISBN: 0-8037-2828-X)
>
> I didn't like it, but I recommend it anyway.
>
> I didn't like it because the author adopts a very arrogant attitude
> toward anthropologists. He has figured out the answers to all the
> mysteries of human evolution; they have not, because they are unable
> to think rationally. He has been able to do this because he is
> (trumpet flourish here) a _RETIRED OPERATIONS RESEARCHER_!
>
> I didn't like it because the author failed to convince me of the
> validity of several of his conclusions. This is, in part, because he
> has made a definite effort to avoid anything the least bit technical.
> However, I think that many of his arguments just are not well thought
> out.
>
> His central thesis is that humankind developed where the Mediterranean
> Sea is now. Evidence exists that between 10 and 20 million years ago,
> the Mediterranean was dry. Tectonic forces had closed Gibraltar, and
> the sea had evaporated. The author posits that around each river
> "delta", where the river fell into the basin to evaporate, an
> ecological community developed, and that these areas were conducive to
> the development of our ancestors.
>
> This is why, even though I found the book flawed in content and
> presentation, I recommend it. This thesis is intriguing. The
> drying-up of the Mediterranean is well-supported by geological
> evidence beyond that given in this book. It happened at the time our
> ancestors were developing, according to some chronologies. It seems
> that such a situation could not but have some effect.
>
> So I would say read it. Some of the points raised within are quite
> original, and may serve to spark more effectively supportable
> theories.
>
> But, please, if you are or aspire to be an author, avoid any
> temptation to adopt Mr. Strickland's hubris.
>
> Jerry Randal Bauer

No comments: